Imagine the scene... It's Monday evening (4th March) at around 20:16 - I was just about to finish for the day when my email refreshed. I thought I'd take one quick look to see if there was anything on there that I could get sorted tonight or at least add to my 'to do' list for tomorrow.
I saw around 5 emails of Tweets come through scanning down the small list - I noticed the first one that came in had a familiar name at the start.
FANTASTIC! I had been entering the #SBS tweets for months prior to actually getting this, but what a great feeling it was when I saw my tweet had been re-tweeted by the Dragon's Den star himself.
As soon as the RT had been placed and confirmation that I was one of the lucky 6 that Theo Paphitis had chosen for the Small Business Sunday retweet, messages from all over Twitter started to deliver from people congratulating me on a successful tweet.
It's great news and I'll certainly be trying to use the exposure that this will bring wisely. There are many tips after you're acknowledged as a winner from Theo & Ryman's all you have to do is make sure you follow them and try to make the most of your win.
If you're new to #SBS then take a look below for all the details on what SBS is and how you can enter it.
We'd love to see you over on Twitter. If you're not currently connected with us, please feel free to head over there now and tweet us... Let us know if this article has helped you and I hope to welcome you to the SBS family too soon. @BlueStarPrint_
Small Business Sunday
Small Business Sunday, shortened to the hashtag #SBS on Twitter, was created by Theo Paphitis in October 2010. Theo is best known for his star role in TV's Dragons' Den. He is Chairman of Ryman Stationery plus Boux Avenue lingerie and joint owner of Red Letter Days
Each week Theo rewards small businesses that tweet him @TheoPaphitis and describe their business in one tweet including the all-important hashtag #SBS. Only tweets made in the time slot between 5.00 PM and 7.30 PM each Sunday count.
Each week Theo reviews and chooses his favourite lucky six who are then re-tweeted. As he has over 300,000 followers, this provides a massive boost to the chosen lucky businesses.
The benefits range from increased Twitter followers, to positive media publicity and crucially for many, increased sales! Of course, none of this is guaranteed as it is largely down to perseverance and hard work. A smidgen of luck comes in handy.
What to do...
- Follow @TheoPaphitis and @RymanStationery on Twitter.
- Tweet about your business in 140 characters or less, directed to @TheoPaphitis, adding the hashtag #SBS.
- Tweet on a Sunday between 5.00-7.30 PM.
- Use humour and topicality if it feels natural to you.
- Feel free to add a link or web address in your tweet.
- Having a website increases your chances of being noticed.
- Ensure your profile sells your business and has a link to your website. Include a colourful graphic.
- It helps to know the names behind the business. #SBS is for small businesses. The personal touch is liked.
- Just tweet once in each weekly time slot.
- Look out for the re-tweets.
- If you are not chosen, don't despair and try again!
What not to do..
- Tweet repeatedly in the hope you are seen.
- Get another to tweet on your behalf or recommend you or re-tweet in the time frame ..it does not help.
- Forget the importance of your own website. If it is not yet functioning, it is of little interest to others.
- Nag or whinge if you don't get a re-tweet - it's not a good look!
- If you have won before, don't try a second time! You are stealing an opportunity from someone else!
Good luck, get tweeting and I'll see you at a future event.